11.5 Homeless, Dependent, and Neglected (HDN) Fund

When a child is not eligible for Title IV-E, the ES will determine if a child may be eligible for Title XIX FFP. This means maintenance and special expense are paid from HDN, but medical services are paid through federally matched Title XIX FFP.

  1. Complete the Alternative Care Client Information screen, SS-61 and CS-65. Do not exceed established rates for maintenance and other services:

    Related Subject:  Section 4 Chapter 11 Attachment A:  Standard Payment for Foster Parents and Section 4 Chapter 11 Attachment C:  Special Expense Payment

    1. Complete the CS-KIDS-1 for parental contributions received and forward same with attached payments to the Department of Finance and Adminstrative Services, DFAS, for entry into the KIDS account.
    2. Update the AC Client Information screen, SS-61 entering the appropriate maintenance amount if the child has been approved for Medical or Behavioral Foster Care.

      Approval by the Regional Director for Medical or Behavioral Foster Care must be contained in the child’s record.

  2. Close, via the AC Client Information function closing screen, when the child returns home or the child is discharged from Division custody.

    Related Subject:  Section 4 Chapter 11 Attachment D:  Children’s Income Disbursement System (KIDS)

    1. If the child is placed for adoption and an adoption subsidy will be needed.

      Related Subject:  Section 4 Chapter 30  Subsidizing an Adoption/Legal Guardianship

    2. See this Section, 11.12, Terminating Cost of Care, for necessary action when the Division retains custody, but the child is placed in a placement resource ineligible for payment from Alternative Care funds, IV-E, or HDN.
  3. The Eligibility Specialist will submit an application to SSA for OASDI or VA with the following information:
    1. child’s name;
    2. child’s Social Security number, and account number (claim number) or parent’s Social Security number;
    3. child’s date of birth;
    4. child’s current address;
    5. parent’s name and address; or,
    6. parent’s date of death, if applicable;
    7. name and address of alternative care provider;
    8. name and address of county office (in all cases this will be the case manager county);
    9. court order giving CD custody; and
    10. payee name and address information as follows:

      (child’s name)
      (child’s DCN)
      Post Office Box 3536 
      Jefferson City, Missouri  65103.

      Regarding benefits from Old Age Survivors and Disability Insurance (OASDI) or Veteran’s Assistance (VA), the Division Director should always be made the Payee for these Benefits (For Open Alternative Care Cases in which CD has Custody).  [In some rare instances, Social Security Administration or Veteran’s Administration (VA) may select someone else to be payee (i.e., DMH, if the child is placed in one of their facilities). PDSU will contact the county office if SSA or VA refuses to make CD payee. The county office should document this in the case record.]

  4. The Eligibility Specialist will receive notification of the rejection of benefits or the amount of monthly benefits for outside income. The Eligibility Specialist should immediately notify PDSU by IOC or E-mail of changes that affect the child’s eligibility for OASDI/VA benefits, such as:
    1. any earned income;
    2. a child receiving benefits due to a disability, when there are changes in his/her medical condition on which eligibility was based;
    3. the disabled child’s employment; or
    4. marriage of the child.

      For a child, age eighteen (18) or older, SSA requires the child be payee for OASDI even though the child may be in Division custody. The child is expected to arrange payment for the cost of his/her care. The worker should assist in developing the payment plan. The Alternative Care Client Information screen, SS-61, in FACES would need to be updated to show no maintenance or below standard maintenance depending on the amount of OASDI the child receives. In the event a child is incompetent, the Division may remain the payee. The case manager should contact SSA and explain why the child should not be the payee. If there is a conflict with SSA about this, contact the CPAY Unit.

  5. Payment received at the County Office should be deposited in KIDS Account via Form CS-KIDS-1.

    Related Subject:  Section 4 Chapter 11 Attachment D:  Children’s Income Disbursement System (KIDS)

  6. Update the AC Client Information screen as appropriate.
    • The KIDS account shall be the primary source for maintenance and special expenses.
  7. See Attachment D of this procedure for the transfer of unused funds when the child is released from CD custody.
    • OASDI benefits may follow the child into adoption. Adoptive parent(s) may apply to be made the “new payee” by contacting SSA.

Chapter Memoranda History: (prior to 1/31/07)

Memoranda History: