The purpose of this memorandum is to advise you of the criteria necessary for individuals who had earnings in 2000 to qualify for the Earned Income Credit (EIC).  It is important to share the EIC information with all program participants.  The exclusion policy that applies to EIC is also included in the following information.

The income limits for tax year 2000 are:

  1. $27,413 for single or married persons who had earned income and one child in their home more than half of the year;
  2. $31,152 for single or married persons who had earned income and more than one child in their home more than half of the year;
  3. $10,380 for persons without children, who are between the ages of 25 and 64.
To receive the tax credit those with children must file a tax form 1040 or 1040a and a Schedule EIC.  Persons without children can file any tax form.  They do not need to file schedule EIC.

Any EIC payment received by food stamp households is excluded from income, whether received as a lump sum or as advance payments.  The EIC payment is also excluded from resources if:

  • the person receiving the payment was participating in the Food Stamp Program at the time the payment was received; and
  • the person participates continuously for 12 months from the date the payment is received.
The EIC payments received by Temporary Assistance, Medical Assistance for Families and MC+ claimants are not considered as income.  For Temporary Assistance, EIC payments are not considered as an available resource in the month of receipt or the month following the month of receipt.

EIC payments are excluded as income for any program based on OAA, PTD, AB, or GR requirements.  For these programs, an EIC payment is considered a resource in the month received.

The Department of Social Services has partnered with the nineteen (19) Community Action Agencies around the state to assist low income workers with applying for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit.  The Community Action Agencies will offer money management classes, help people establish a bank account, and work with employers who want to offer advance earned income tax credit to their employees.  The Community Action Agencies and contact information is attached. 

Refer any individual who is currently working to the nearest Community Action Agency to see if they qualify for this tax credit and other assistance.  Use Earned Income Tax Credit Referral (IM-101E) revised February 2000, when referring to the Community Action Agencies.  A copy of IM-101E is attached. 

Also attached is printed information on EIC in both Spanish and English. Please copy and post both versions of this brochure in public areas of your office.

  • Review this memorandum with all staff.
  • Refer working families to Community Action Agencies using the IM-101E.
  • Post the attachments and make copies available to visitors to your office.
Distribution #6
Attachments Not Available On-Line

[ Memorandum Table of Contents ]