The October Food Stamp Mass Adjustment will occur over the weekend of September 10, 2016 for current customers. All policies and updated information with go into effect for all applicants and customers as of October 1, 2016. This memorandum addresses the following issues related to the mass adjustment:
- Updates to the Maximums and Deductions
- Update Process
- Decreased Benefits or Case Closings
- Conflict of Actions
- Cases Not Adjusted
- Fair Hearing Requests
- Manual Revisions
Updates to the Maximums, Utility Standards and Deductions:
The Following updates were made during the mass adjustment:
|Allotment Types||Allotment Amounts|
|Standard Deductions||1-3 Household Members $157
4 Household Members $168
5 Household Members $197
6+ Household Members $226
|Utility Standards||SUA $362
Telephone $ 59
|Excess Shelter Deductions||$517|
|Gross (130%) Maximum||Increased|
|Net (100%) Maximum||Increased|
|FPL (165%) Maximum*||Increased|
*These maximums are used to determine if an EU whose members are elderly, live with others and are unable to purchase and prepare food due to a disability, are eligible as a separate EUs for Food Stamp Benefits. The Food Stamp Manual Section 1105.015.04.05 has been updated with the new chart.
The Food Stamp Budget Summary (FM4A) screen and the Worker Initiated Budget Calculation Area – WIBCA (FMXN) are updated with the new amounts for October 2016 budgets effective the weekend of September 11, 2016.
After the eligibility determination is run during the mass adjustment, the following actions on active Food Stamp cases may be displayed in FAMIS, depending on
the action taken during the mass adjustment:
|Action||EU Log (FM40) Displays||Date||Benefit Month|
The reason field on the Action Authorization (FM3H) screen displays TUA – Table Update Adjustment (system) for the mass adjustment.
To inquire why an action is taken, on the EU Action Log (FM40), select the action, and press F17=INQAUTH. The Action Authorization (FM3H) screen appears. Press F19=REASON. The reason code and the code description appear. After payroll closing, the Payment History (FM5F) screen displays the appropriate allotment for each EU.
Decrease Benefits or Case Closings
EU's with cases have an allotment decrease or their case is closing will receive an FA-150 Action Notice.
Conflict of Actions
FAMIS adjusts active Food Stamp cases during the mass adjustment even if the case has a pending adverse action. A conflict of action is created if there is a pending adverse action when the mass adjustment is completed. The alert "Adverse Action Needs Resolving" is sent to the eligibility specialist. The eligibility specialist voids the adverse action and process the mass adjustment adverse action following these steps:
- Void the first (pending) adverse action on the Action Resolution (FM50 or ACTRES) screen.
- Complete the eligibility determination on the Eligibility Determination Resolution screen (FM3Y or EDRES).
- Authorize the new action, even if the action is a benefit reduction or closing.
Refer to FAMIS user guide Changing An Adverse Action Status for instructions.
Cases Not Adjusted
Pending applications and cases with pending changes cannot be adjusted during the mass adjustment and require the eligibility specialist to take action. When the eligibility specialist completes the appropriate action, the case will be automatically adjusted.
The following are examples of cases not adjusted:
- Expedited EUs that are active with postponed verification (APV status).
- Any EU with an incomplete eligibility determination, such as when there is insufficient data (ISD).
- Any EU in the controlled flow.
- If an unacceptable or blank verification code is entered for a program element.
All EUs with an allotment increase will be sent an FA-150 Action Notice. These notices are dated 09/11/2016. The notice informs the EU of the following:
- The Standard deduction and excess shelter maximums have changed.
- The Utility Standard allowances have changed
- The household Food Stamp allotment for October has changed
Staff may view the FA-150 on the Document Queue (FMVM) screen in FAMIS.
Fair Hearing Request
If the EU requests a fair hearing for the Food Stamp Program the Agency needs to:
- Follow your current hearings office process in your local office
The Food Stamp Manual Revisions are as follows:
- Section 1105.015.04.05 165% FPL
- Section 1115.035.05 Update the standard deduction
- Section 1115.035.25 Update the excess shelter maximum
- Section 1115.035.25.15 Update the utility standards
- Section 1115.099.00 update Maximum Allowable Monthly Income Limits and Allotment table
- Section 1115.070.00 update calculation charts for ineligible participants
- Section 1130.099.00 Appendix A Simplified Reporting Requirements
- Section 1135.010.07.05 Update standard for pre-strike calculations
The Following information has been revised:
- Food Stamp Program Changes Flyer
- Standards History Chart
- Manually Calculating a food stamp budget
- Basis of Issuance Tables
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.