1105.000.00 Non-financial Eligibility Requirements

1105.098.20 Reconciliation – Covered Earnings

IM-05 January 17, 2024; IM-118 August 2, 2000


  • SSA will NOT develop LAG earnings for FSD because they will appear on SSA records when they are processed.
  • Because these quarters represent recent work activity, the immigrant should have acceptable evidence of earnings readily available.
  • When the individual needs LAG quarters from the previous or current year, accept forms such as W-2 and/or W-2c, employer prepared wage statements or an IRS copy of the individual’s tax return.
  • Credit qualified quarters to the applicant using the covered employment chart in Section 1105.098.20.10 Noncovered Employment.
  • Assume the earnings are covered employment if the proof submitted indicates FICA taxes were withheld.


  • Whenever the applicant or other individual whose qualifying quarters (QQ) are being credited to the immigrant does not agree with the QQ pattern provided by the IIVE query, it will be necessary to reconcile the discrepancy.
  • When the individual believes that the work he/she performed was in covered employment, or Medicare-only government wages, and the earnings do not fall within the LAG period, SSA is responsible for investigating the discrepancy and correcting the record.

Refer all covered employment or Medicare-only Federal, State, or local wage cases to SSA as follows:

  • If the individual indicates that he/she used more than one SSN or allowed others to use his/her SSN, the individual will need to contact his/her local Social Security office to resolve the issue or call 800-772-1213 to set up an appointment.
    • Be sure to tell the individual to take a copy of the Quarter of Coverage (QC) pattern, identifying information, and any proof of earnings they may have to the SSA office with them.
  • If you need to develop a Z indicator for year(s) 1977 or earlier or a # sign indicator from the QC pattern, refer the case to the SSA Office for investigation using Form SSA-7008.

Complete the Form SSA-7008 including the following information:

  • Name,
  • Social Security Number(s),
  • Date of Birth,
  • Year or Years in Question,
  • Mailing Address, and
  • Copy of the output from the query.

Mail the request along with the printed IIVE response to:

Social Security Administration
6100 Wabash Ave
Baltimore, MD 21215

Note: Do NOT save the IIVE response in the case record.

  • If you need to follow up on the status of your request, 45 days after your original request, request another QQ history query. If the entry has been updated, the # or Z will be overlaid with N or C. If the QQ pattern has not been updated after 60 days, call 800-772-1213.
  • If the individual indicates there are missing quarters or code “Z” is 1978 or later, have the immigrant, if he or she is the number holder of the SSN, complete a Form SSA-7008 Request for Correction of Earnings Record. (This form can also be obtained from your local Social Security Office). Proof of earnings such as W-2s, pay slip/stub, tax return or statement from the employer should be attached. On top of the SSA-7008 write “Welfare Reform.”


  • If the immigrant is not the number holder, tell the immigrant that the number holder must complete the SSA-7008 and provide proof of earnings as shown above.

All SSA-7008s along with the documentation should be mailed to:

Social Security Administration
6100 Wabash Ave
Baltimore, MD 21215

If the applicant has no documentation, he/she should contact his/her local Social Security Office or call 800-772-1213 to arrange an appointment.

Note: Occasionally SSA will not be able to verify and credit covered wages and self-employment. This is because SSA’s development requirements are designed to support strict insured status rules and Title II entitlement determinations. If SSA cannot verify and credit covered wages and self-employment and you believe sufficient evidence exists to credit the wages or self-employment, use your best judgment whether to credit the wages or self-employment as non-covered qualifying quarters.