The immigrant is responsible for:
- providing any information or documentation necessary to determine the income and resources of the immigrant’s sponsor and the sponsor’s spouse;
- providing the names (or other identifying factors), if needed, of other immigrants for whom the sponsor has signed a support agreement;
- obtaining any necessary cooperation from the sponsor.
FSD is responsible for obtaining from the immigrant or immigrant’s spouse the following information:
- income and resources of the immigrant’s sponsor and the sponsor’s spouse (if living with the sponsor) at the time of the immigrant’s application for FS;
- name or other identifying information (such as an immigrant registration number), if needed, of other immigrants for whom the sponsor has signed an affidavit of support or similar agreement;
- name, address, and telephone number of the immigrant’s sponsor.
In cases where the immigrant has not refused to obtain information or verification, only the immigrant is ineligible until it is received.
- Determine eligibility of any remaining household members.
- Process income and resources of the ineligible immigrant (excluding the deemed income and resources of the immigrant’s sponsor and sponsor’s spouse) in the same manner as any other ineligible immigrant and consider in determining the eligibility and benefit level of the remaining household members.
In cases where the same sponsor is responsible for an entire household of immigrants, the entire household is ineligible until the needed sponsor information is provided and/or verified.
In cases where the immigrant refuses to cooperate only the sponsor immigrant is ineligible.
If proper information and verification is subsequently received, act on the information as a reported change in household membership.