EBT Manual

0150.020.10 Alternate Payee/Home Health Agencies

An alternate payee is an individual outside the household designated to use the food stamp and/or cash benefits. An alternate payee may also be a business such as a home health agency. An alternate payee is authorized access to cash and food stamp benefits according to the code entered in EBTU. The possible client type codes are:

P (Primary cash/food stamp)
PF (Primary food stamps)
AF (Alternate food stamps)
AC (Alternate cash)
AB (Alternate cash/food stamp)

An authorized representative has access to the food stamp benefits as stated in the Food Stamp Manual. A protective payee is assigned according to policy in the Temporary Assistance Manual (see 0205.045.00 Protective Payments). An individual may be an authorized representative and a protective payee. If a protective payee is assigned, the participant does not have access to the cash benefits. Enter the authorized representative or protective payee DCN or vendor number, mailing address, date of birth, and Social Security number (optional) to add the individual to EBTU.

Any food stamp participant who wants to use a home health aide as an authorized representative, must designate the home health care agency as the authorized representative using the In-Home Service Provider and Division of Aging Client EBT Food Stamp Agreement form (IM-109). By selecting the home health agency, any aide working for the agency is able to use the authorized representative EBT card. The name of the home health agency appears on the card followed by the last name and first initial of the participant. The address of the agency is used, but the date of birth and social security number of the participant is used.