Take the following steps to approve SLMB in combination with another type of assistance:
- Register a SLMB application using the “SLMB” type of assistance from IAPP along with registration of the other type of assistance. Remember: If the claimant does not already have a pending QMB application or receive QMB, take a QMB application whenever taking a SLMB application.
- Determine ineligibility for QMB.
- Approve the other type of assistance as for any approval. NOTE: SLMB groups 2 and 3 cannot receive Medicaid. The claimant must make a choice if eligible for both.
- On the approval IMU5 for the other type of assistance, enter SLMB eligibility in Field 13M1 using an “L” indicator, and the beginning date of eligibility in Field 13M2.
- NOTE: SLMB can be approved for prior quarter or for the month of application.
- The system will generate the IM-32 to provide notice of eligibility for SLMB and ineligibility for QMB. Send an IM-32 to provide notice of eligibility for the other type of assistance.
- Take no action on the “L” type of assistance application. The system will automatically reject the “L” type of assistance when SLMB eligibility is shown on the other type of assistance approval. The code “20c” will appear on the turnaround IM-5’s for the “L” type of assistance.
- If a QMB application was taken, reject using regular IMU5 procedures. NOTE: The system will not automatically reject the “Q” case.
If the claimant makes application for QMB, SLMB and another type of assistance, as above, and is determined eligible for the other type of assistance and QMB reject the SLMB application using the reason for rejection code 59, “approved for QMB”. The system will not automatically reject the SLMB application.