For OAA or PTD SSI-SP recipients, determine the grant by as follows:
- Add the SSI eligibility amount.
- Add any earned income; use the gross earned income from:
- self-employment minus overhead expenses (see 0730.000.00 Overhead Expenses for SP-Only and SSI-SP Recipients)
- Add any unearned income (excluding any OASDI cost-of-living adjustments received July 1975 or later). When the recipient initially receives OASDI, count the entire amount of the benefit and disregard any subsequent cost-of-living increases. In addition to the situation in which the recipient initially receives a social security benefit, ANY increase in a social security benefit other than the cost-of-living adjustments beginning July 1985 is treated as income.
EXAMPLE 1: Mrs. Reeves was receiving an OASDI benefit under her own account number. In November, she received an increase in benefits due to the death of her spouse. The increase is paid out of her husband’s account; however, Mrs. Reeves continues to receive under her own account number. The increase received due to her husband’s death is identifiable and is added to the countable OASDI previously received by Mrs. Reeves. Exclude any subsequent cost-of-living increases to the full countable amount is excluded.
EXAMPLE 2: Mrs. Reeves was receiving an OASDI benefit under her husband’s account number. In November, she began to receive an OASDI benefit under her own Social Security number. Count the entire monthly amount she received for November under her own OASDI number in determining her SP grant. Disregard any subsequent increases.
- Add any payment(s) received as the result of TPL overages. Consider these payments as income for the month in which they are received.
- Subtract the totals of (1), (2), (3), and (4) from the December 1973 EIL to obtain the grant amount.