Temporary Assistance/Case Management Manual

0205.030.10.05 Exceptions to Living Arrangement for Minor Parents

Exceptions to the required living arrangements for minor parents are allowed as follows:

  1. The minor parent has no parent or legal guardian who is living or the whereabouts of the parent or guardian is unknown;
  2. The minor parent has no legal living parent or legal guardian that will allow the minor parent to live in his/her home;
  3. The Family Support Division determines that the physical or emotional health or safety of the minor parent or dependent child would be jeopardized;
  4. The minor parent lived apart from any parent or legal guardian for a period of at least one year prior to the birth of the dependent child or applying for benefits;
  5. There is good cause for the minor parent and dependent child to receive assistance while living apart from a parent or adult relative or in an adult supervised supportive living arrangement.

If a minor parent claims to meet one of the reasons for exemption, use an appropriate source of verification, which would include a written statement by the applicant/participant to establish that the reason for exemption exists.