Temporary Assistance/Case Management Manual

0205.035.10 Institutional Residence

No person is eligible to receive Temporary Assistance if residing in a public institution such as a jail, penitentiary, or correctional institution; training school for delinquents; county home (not leased); mental hospitals not operated by the state; tuberculosis hospitals not operated by the state; and similar institutions (not including general hospitals or infirmaries qualifying as public medical institutions) operated by the city, county, state, or federal government.

Do not consider children in State Schools for the Blind or Deaf as inmates of public institutions. They are eligible for Temporary Assistance if eligibility exists on all other factors.

A person on a conditional release from a public mental hospital is not an inmate of a public institution. He/she is free from control by the hospital other than for professional help or guidance related to his/her mental condition.