Temporary Assistance (TA) recipients may be exempt from participation if they are found mentally or physically disabled by one or more of the following criteria:
- The recipient makes a first application for old age, survivor’s, and disability insurance (OASDI), supplemental security income (SSI), or other employer-sponsored disability insurance; or
- The recipient receives OASDI, SSI or other employer sponsored disability benefits.
Circumstances that do not meet the criteria for the exempt category of mentally and physically disabled include:
- Any statement from a medical professional indicating the recipient cannot work;
- An appeal of denial for SSI or one of the other disability insurance benefits;
- A second application for SSI or one of the other disability insurances for the same disabling condition; and
- Any temporary disability.
Acceptable documentation for this category includes an original or photocopy of the application for benefits, written correspondence from the awarding entity verifying receipt of benefits, or any other signed statement from the awarding entity regarding the receipt of or application for benefits.