Temporary Assistance/Case Management Manual

0275.040.50 Worker’s Compensation Requirement

Worker’s Compensation must be provided for volunteers in an Alternative Work Experience Program (AWEP)/Community Work Experience Program (CWEP) activity.  The following rules apply:

  • In most cases, the state of Missouri/Family Support Division (FSD) will provide Worker’s Compensation coverage for Temporary Assistance (TA) recipients participating in the AWEP/CWEP activity in any position that is considered “state employment.”  This is based on the self-insured status of most state agencies, allowing the entity that “controls and directs” the volunteer (considered the employee) to be considered the employer.  The person/entity that “controls and directs” is the person/entity who directly oversees the day-to-day tasks of the recipient.  This includes, but is not limited to the worksite supervisor, employment agency,
  • It is the responsibility of the Missouri Work Assistance (MWA) service provider/case manager to confirm “self-insured” status of the state agency in which the recipient is placed.
  • If a TA recipient is placed in a job that is not covered under the “self-insured”, “state employment”, the MWA service provider is financially responsible for providing Worker’s Compensation if required by the worksite.