Temporary Assistance/Case Management Manual

0275.045.50 Worker’s Compensation Requirement

Worker’s Compensation must be provided for volunteers in the Community Service Program.  The following rules apply:

  • In most cases, the state of Missouri/Family Support Division (FSD) will provide Worker’s Compensation coverage for Temporary Assistance (TA) recipients participating in the Community Service Program in any position that is considered “state employment.”  This is based on the self-insured status of most state agencies, allowing the entity that “controls and directs” the volunteer (considered the employee) to be considered the employer.  The person/entity that “controls and directs” is the person/entity who directly oversees the day-to-day tasks of the TA recipient.  This includes, but is not limited to the worksite supervisor, employment agency, employer, or the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
  • It is the responsibility of the MWA service provider/case manager to confirm “self-insured” status of the state agency in which the recipient is placed.
  • If a TA recipient is placed in a job that is not covered under the “self-insured”, “state employment”, the MWA service provider is financially responsible for providing Worker’s Compensation if required by the worksite.