Section 4, Chapter 12 (Financial Considerations), Subsection 2 – Financial Contributions by Parents

Effective Date:  5-1-19


The following steps should be completed to determine how the parents can financially contribute to their child while they are in the state’s custody. Interview birth parent(s) for willingness to pay all or part of the cost of alternative care.

  • Complete the Financial Statement for Families of Children in Alternative Care, CS-99, and advise parent(s), before the juvenile court hearing, an order requiring payment for the care of the child may be made at the time of the hearing.
  • Attach the completed CS-99 to the social history sent to the court.
  • The Eligibility Analyst will complete the Referral/Information for Child Support Services/AC, CSE-201AC. However, the Case Manager shall indicate to the Eligibility Analyst if a case should not be pursued because of any of the following conditions:
    • Both parents are deceased;
    • TPR on both parents has occurred;
    • The Division has not and will not be providing any Out-of-Home Care payment or special expenses.

If the best interests of the child would not be served, i.e., physical or emotional harm would likely result to the child; adoption proceedings are pending before a court; the parent is working through the issues involved and the child support would be a hindrance to the case goal, then the CD-252 Good Cause Letter shall be completed and sent to the Eligibility Analyst.

The Children’s Service Worker and the Children’s Service Supervisor must evaluate and agree concerning the child’s best interests. The reasons must be documented in the case record. The Division has the right to change this request at any time during the case.

  • Parents may contact Child Support for more information regarding where and when to submit payment.
  • Report changes within ten (10) days to Eligibility Analyst. Changes include:
    • Absent parent obtains employment;
    • Absent parent changes jobs;
    • Absent parent moves; or
    • Court modifies order which will affect child support.
  • Child support payments received in a county office shall be sent to the Child Support Financial Resolution Section (FRS) at the address below to ensure payment is accurately credited to an established child support order.

Family Support Division
Financial Resolution Section
PO Box 2277
Jefferson City, MO 65102-2277

The Family Support Service Center should receive Court ordered and Family Support Division (FSD) administrative ordered parental contributions (child support) and forward same to the Division of Finance and Administrative Services (DFAS). Therefore, only in rare situations will the county office receive support from parents and forward to the Financial Restitution Section.

  • Apply any unused contribution to the child’s cost of care when the child leaves Out-of-Home Care

12.2.1 Continuation of Child Support

According to Section 452.340 RSMo, children in foster care can continue to receive child support from their non-custodial parent if they meet the requirements under state law. The child’s case manager will be responsible for determining eligibility based on the criteria listed below.

Ninety days prior to the child’s 18th birthday, the case manager will receive the Notice of Intent to Stop Collection of Current Support,CS-697.In most circumstances, the child will be eligible for continued support if:

  • The child will be attending high school or a high school equivalency testing program on his/her 18th birthday; or
  • The child plans to attend college or vocational school by October 1 after graduation from high school or completion of a high school equivalency testing program; or
  • The child is currently attending a college or vocational school.

If the case manager determines the child continues to meet requirements under state law for current support to continue beyond the child’s 18th birthday, they will need to complete the Custodian’s Response to Notice of Intent to Stop Collection of Current Support section of the CS-697 form received in the mail and select the reason child support should continue from the options listed. If the child no longer meets the eligibility criteria specified in the statute, the case manager shall notify the Family Support Division (FSD).

12.2.2 Third Party Insurance:

  • Interview parents for availability of Third Party Insurance (TPL).
  • Complete and submit Form TPL-1 to MHD when Third Party Insurance is available.
  • Complete Form TPL-2 when the child sustains injuries in an accident or work related incident and Third Party Insurance is available (see Form TPL-2 instructions in the Children’s Division Forms Manual).

12.2.3 Parent’s Estates

  • Identify and contact the executor to make arrangements for paying for the child’s care and other service needs including the provision of a copy of the court order transferring custody to the Division.
  • Inform the executor of the caretaker’s name and address for payment to be made directly to the caretaker or other vendor.
  • Seek the assistance of the executor when the child is in need of other services requiring payment.
  • Notify the executor of any changes in the child’s case plan or location.
  • Notify the executor when the child is released from Division custody and update the SS-61 appropriately.
  • Record, as necessary, any events, circumstances, or plans which influence the use of funds for the child’s care.