Section 4, Chapter 12 (Financial Considerations), Subsection 5 – Homeless, Dependent, and Neglected Fund

Effective Date:  5-1-19


When a child is not eligible for Title IV-E, the Eligibility Analyst will determine if a child may be eligible for Title XIX FFP. This means maintenance and special expenses are paid from HDN, but medical services are paid through federally matched Title XIX FFP.

  • Complete the Alternative Care Client Information screen, SS-61:
    • If parental contributions are received in a county office, forward payment to the Financial Resolution Section. This will ensure the payment is credited to the accurate child support order already established. The address below:
    • Family Support Division
      Financial Resolutions Section
      P.O. Box 2277
      Jefferson City, MO 65102-2277
    • Update the AC Client Information screen, SS-61 entering the appropriate maintenance amount if the child has been approved for Medical or Level A or Level B Foster Care. Do not exceed established rates for maintenance and other services.
    • Approval by the Regional Director for Medical or Behavioral Foster Care must be contained in the child’s record.
  • Close, via the AC Client Information function closing screen, when the child returns home or the child is discharged from Division custody.
    • If the child is placed for adoption and an adoption subsidy will be needed.
    • See this later in this chapter for necessary action when the Division retains custody, but the child is placed in a placement resource ineligible for payment from Alternative Care funds, IV-E, or HDN.
  • The Eligibility Analyst will receive notification of the rejection of benefits or the amount of monthly benefits for outside income. The Children’s Service Worker should immediately notify Eligibility Analysts of changes that affect the child’s eligibility for OASDI/VA benefits, such as:
    • any earned income;
    • a child receiving benefits due to a disability, when there are changes in his/her medical condition on which eligibility was based;
    • the disabled child’s employment; or
    • marriage of the child.
    • For a child, age eighteen (18) or older, SSA requires the child be payee for OASDI even though the child may be in Division custody. The youth may be provided the CD-272, Older Youth Change of Payee Request Form. The child is expected to arrange payment for the cost of his/her care. The Children’s Service Worker should assist in developing the payment plan. The Alternative Care Client Information screen, SS-61, in FACES would need to be updated to show no maintenance or below standard maintenance depending on the amount of OASDI the child receives. In the event a child is incompetent, the Division may remain the payee. The case manager should contact SSA and explain why the child should not be the payee. If there is a conflict with SSA about this, contact the CPAY Unit.
    • In the event the Children’s Service Worker has evidence supporting the youth is incapable of managing their benefits or may possibly have a disability of their own, the Social Security Specialist should be contacted. The Social Security Specialist will apply to be the payee, or make application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, if the youth is still in alternative care and in the legal custody of CD. Disability Determinations makes the determination to deem the child either capable or incapable of being their own payee.
  • If a payment is received at the County Office, contact the Social Security Specialist to determine next steps.
  • Update the AC Client Information screen as appropriate.
    • The KIDS account shall be the primary source for maintenance and special expenses.
    • OASDI benefits may follow the child into adoption. Adoptive parent(s) may apply to be made the “new payee” by contacting SSA.