All applications must be processed without delay unless unusual or extreme circumstances exist. Complete the eligibility determination to ensure an applicant is mailed his/her notice of approval or denial in a timely manner. Application timeframes are as follows:
- MHF, MHK, CHIP, and UWHS – no later than the 30th day after the application date; and
- MPW and SMHB – no later than the 15th day after the application date.
If the application cannot be completed promptly due to an extreme circumstance the Eligibility Specialist must enter a comment per current MEDES process.
An application may be rejected prior to the due date if the case is found to be ineligible on one of the following eligibility factors:
- No eligible child;
- Income over maximum (client statement reasonably compatible with electronic data);
- Ineligible alien; or
- Failure to cooperate with an IM-31A request for information.
The following are examples of eligibility factors staff cannot reject for:
- Alien stating he/she meets the 5-year ban and waiting on verification (refer to manual section 1805.000.05 – Reasonable Opportunity); or
- Client statement is not reasonably compatible with electronic data and additional information is needed (refer to manual section 1805.030.15 Reasonable Compatibility.