If affordable employer-sponsored insurance is not available, evaluate access to affordable private insurance coverage. FSD must refer to the Affordability Calculator to see if affordable insurance is available. DO NOT require the family to provide insurance quotes unless they disagree with the calculator determination. If the family disagrees, they may give quotes by:
- reporting verbally or in writing at an FSD office
- contacting the FSD Information Center (855-373-4636)
NOTE: Written verification from insurance companies is not required, but the applicant must supply names of the insurance companies.
NOTE: Undocumented immigrants do not have access to affordable insurance, as they cannot purchase an insurance plan through the Federally Facilitated Marketplace at www.Healthcare.gov.
A private insurance policy causes ineligibility if:
- the premium meets the affordable definition in 1840.010.15 Access to Affordable Health Insurance
- the insurance covers all MO HealthNet services (except non-emergency medical transportation); and
- the insurance covers all of a child’s pre-existing medical conditions
If the private insurance quotes are above the affordable amount, the family does NOT have access to affordable insurance and the children are eligible on that factor. If one or both of the private insurance quotes are less than the affordable amount, the family has access to affordable insurance and the children are not eligible for CHIP premium coverage.