Residents of an institution providing them with a majority of their meals (over 50 percent of three meals daily) as a part of its normal service are not eligible for participation with the exceptions listed below.
Residents of the following institutions may be eligible for FS:
- any federally-subsidized housing for the elderly
- public or private non-profit shelters for homeless persons
- a treatment or rehabilitation center for addicts or alcoholics including their children who reside in the treatment facility (refer to 1135.005.15 Residents of Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers for eligibility criteria)
- shelters for battered women and children (refer to 1135.005.35 Shelters for Battered Women and Children for eligibility criteria)
- a group living arrangement for blind and disabled residents who receive benefits under Title II or Title XVI of the Social Security Act (refer to 1135.005.25 Group Living Arrangement for eligibility criteria)
- boarding schools if the individual or individual’s family can show non-residence in the institution (such as the majority of the meals are not eaten at the institution). Give special consideration to summer vacation, spring (Easter) break, Christmas break, etc., allowing the individual to be included in the allotment due to increase in EU size during these periods.