Before requesting quarters of coverage information:
- Determine whose quarters to request. Countable quarters of coverage can include quarters earned by the immigrant, the immigrant’s parents, and the immigrant’s spouse. Refer to the Food Stamp Manual Sections 1105.010.15.05 and 1105.010.15.10 for the rules on deeming quarters of coverage.
- Always determine quarters based on the immigrant’s own earnings first. This simplifies verification because many immigrants have sufficient quarters on their own record, thus eliminating the need for a QQ history for the parent(s)/spouse of the immigrant.
- Establish parent/spouse relationship if quarters are being deemed.
- Obtain a Consent for Release of Information from each individual (other than the individual signing the application) from whom the quarters are being requested. The immigrant’s parent/spouse completes Form SSA-3288, Consent for Release of Information, if the immigrant does not have sufficient QQ history. A copy of Form SSA-3288 and an example of how the form must be completed is illustrated and filed after Section 1105.099.00 Appendix C in the hard copy Food Stamp Manual. See Section 1105.098.10 for further information.
RETAIN THIS CONSENT FORM IN THE CASE RECORD. SSA WILL REQUEST TO SEE THESE FORMS AS PART OF QUALITY CONTROL OR IF A QUESTION IS RAISED.
- Determine if any of the individuals whose quarters will be used in the 40 QQ determination received a Federal means-tested public benefit in January 1997 or any month thereafter. SSI is an example of a means-tested public benefit. SSI payment information is part of the IIVE query. Use this information when reviewing the output to determine whether quarters in years after 1996 can be included.