IM-02 January 12, 2023; IM-31 June 10, 2014; IM-70 December 9, 2011; IM-07 January 7, 2008; IM-93 September 16, 2004; IM-53 March 23, 2000
An individual residing in a Drug and Alcohol Treatment Center (DATC) program may be receiving SNAP benefits when entering the program or may be determined eligible while participating in the program. Determine whether the individual and his/her children reside at the DATC.
If residing at a DATC, the participant must:
- Meet the same income and resource requirements as other households,
- Include as households members his/her children living with him/her at the treatment center, and
- Be required to name the non-profit, private organization or institution operating the center as their authorized representative to apply for SNAP benefits.
The authorized representative for application purposes must be:
- The administrator of the treatment center or their designee (designation must be made in writing and signed by the administrator),
- Be present at the interview, and
- Sign the application and interview summary.
The eligibility specialist must:
- Enter the work registration code in the eligibility system.
- The resident is exempt from work registration requirements (code 20).
- Explore work registration for other individuals included in the household, as applicable.
- Complete a full determination as for any other application.
- Record the authorized representative’s name and address in the eligibility system.
- Inform the authorized representative of the following:
- The EBT card is mailed in the resident’s name to the center.
- The center does not receive its own EBT card.
- The resident is entitled to their EBT card and remaining SNAP benefits upon leaving the center.
- Residents of DATC receive monthly benefits in two equal amounts, on the 1st and 15th of the month.
NOTE: Residents of drug and alcohol treatment centers who apply for SNAP after the 15th day of the month and are eligible for expedited benefits will receive the month of application and the next month’s benefits in one allotment.