When the head of the household dies, enter the action in the system and determine if the report is verified upon receipt or if verification is required.
- If the report is verified upon receipt authorize the action. Follow notice of adverse action procedures.
- If verification is required, such as a Social Security death match, send a request for contact form to the household.
- If verification of the death is obtained, authorize the action to close the case. Follow notice of adverse action procedures.
- If verification is required but not provided, authorize an Adverse Action Worker Closing with reason Failure to Cooperate.
If remaining household members wish to continue to participate in the SNAP Program, the new head of household must submit a new application.
NOTE: List of Death Records Matching IM Records (FIM31420) reports based on a death certificate/client data exchange with the Bureau of Vital Records of the Missouri Department of Health are considered verified upon receipt for all households. Close a household’s case based upon information received on the FIM31420.
Death Matches from the Social Security Administration are not considered verified upon receipt.
If a household member reports the head of household left the home, and the remaining household members wish to continue receiving SNAP benefits:
- Take a new application for the remaining household members.
- Remove the applicant household members from the active case.
- Leave the former head of household’s case active, if eligible.