Terminating a claim in CARS reduces the balance owed to zero. A claim may be terminated by the system or by staff.
The system terminates claims monthly if:
- the total outstanding balance of all claims for a debtor is $25.00 or less and all claims for the debtor are delinquent 90 days, or
- the claim is over ten years old and there have been no payments by the debtor in the previous three years
A claim is terminated for the following reasons by designated staff:
- The household cannot be located
- Two or more pieces of correspondence mailed to the household have been returned as undeliverable
- The household is not receiving any assistance from the Family Support Division
- All responsible members of the claim have died
- The agency is reversed by a hearing decision and is ordered to terminate the claim
- The claim was established in error
Note: Unable to locate a case record is NOT a reason to terminate a claim.
For instructions see CARS User Guide Terminating or Closing a Claim.