Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Manual

1142.090.00 Interstate Claims

IM-142 December 2, 2005

The state where the overpayment occurred has the first opportunity and responsibility to collect on a claim. However, if that state is unable to recover the overpayment, the state where the EU is currently residing may initiate action to collect the overpayment. Missouri can establish a claim and collect for overpayments, which occurred in another state. Other states may contact Missouri to determine if the EU currently resides in Missouri and if the EU is currently receiving food stamp benefits. The other state may request that we recover the overpayment. If another state notifies a county office of an outstanding debt, the information is sent to the Claims and Restitution Unit. Claims received from another state are entered in the Claims Discovery and Referral System by the Claims and Restitution Unit.

If Missouri discovers an EU has moved to another state, we can request the other state to initiate or continue collection on our unpaid claim. Copies of the material in the case file relating to the claim may be sent to the other state. Notify the Claims and Restitution Unit. Claims and Restitution staff will contact the other state regarding transferring the outstanding claim balance for collection.