The designee of the office sending protected information must determine the appropriate container for the materials to be sent.
If the protected material is mailed in an envelope:
- Place the confidential material in the envelope;
- Seal the envelope;
- Stamp the envelope with the words “CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION TO BE OPENED BY ADDRESSEE ONLY”;
- Address the envelope to the requestor (name only);
- Place the envelope containing the protected material inside another envelope;
- Seal the outside envelope; and
- Address the envelope to the applicable office.
If the protected material is mailed in a box:
- Stamp the box with the works “CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION – TO BE OPENED BY ADDRESSEE ONLY”; and
- Tape the box lid securely and address the box to the designee at the office.
The designee of the office receiving the protected material must safeguard the protected material immediately upon receipt.