The institutionalized participant may make an allotment to the community spouse and certain dependents. The allotment is intended to help the participant’s spouse and dependents meet their normal living expenses (see Allotments user guide).
Allotments may be made to the following persons:
- the community spouse (see 0815.030.10.10.10 Determining the Allotment to the Community Spouse)
- minor children (under age 21) of either the institutionalized participant or the community spouse who live with the community spouse
- dependent children of either member of the couple who live with the community spouse
- dependent parents of either member of the couple who live with the community spouse
- dependent siblings of either member of the couple who live with the community spouse (see 0815.030.10.10.20 Allotments for Minors and Dependents Living With the Community Spouse)
The allotment is determined by FAMIS using data entered on the Allotment Information Screen (ALLOT or FMJ6) (see Allotments user guide).
In certain circumstances, allotments may be made for minor children who do not live with the community spouse. See 0815.030.10.10.25 Allotments for Minors Not Living With the Community Spouse.