If the individual is not currently receiving MO HealthNet benefits, an application for MHABD must be taken:
- Obtain a signed application form (IM-1MA or IM-1). Refer to Application Processing manual, Section 0105.010.00 for more information on who may sign the application.
NOTE: As with any MHABD application, determine eligibility for QMB/SLMB
- Have the individual or his/her representative complete the eligibility statement (IM-1MA or IM-2) or complete a FAMIS interview and sign the interview summary.
- Determine that the individual is age 63 or older.
- If the individual is at least age 63 but is under age 65, determine that the individual meets PTD requirements.
- Determine that the individual’s gross income is at or below the HCB maximum. Complete the application flow in FAMIS.
- Approve the MHABD application if individual is eligible for MHABD spend down or nonspend down.
- If applicant cannot be approved for MHABD due to excess resources, but has a spouse with whom they live and the individual is not obviously ineligible for HCB, begin the division of assets.
- Using the Home and Community Based Referral (IM-54A) form, refer the individual to DHSS/DSDS to determine medical need and authorization for HCB services within 2 days of approval for MHABD coverage or decision that a division of assets will be required.