Family Support Division (FSD) staff must present an applicant or participant with an original Missouri Voter Registration Application form at the time of the in-person interview. Blue or black ink must be used to fill out the form.
NOTE: FSD locations can print voter registration forms on paper at the FSD location, and may use these forms to offer voter registration service to participants, rather than using the cardstock forms from the Secretary of State provided that these forms are printed on one sheet of paper with the registration application on one side and the declination on the other.
Have the participant mark a response to the question on the form that asks: “If you are not registered to vote where you live now, would you like to apply to register to vote here today?”
Staff will take the following actions before giving the voter registration application to the person designated to log all voter registration applications:
- If the participant declines to mark any box, FSD staff will record on the declination form the participant’s name, date of birth, the fact that s/he declined voter registration services, the date, and the FSD staff member will sign the form. (Log as a Declined to Declare in ITrackRS.)
- If the participant marks the box “no” or “no, already registered” and signs the form, FSD staff will record the date and the participant’s date of birth on the form. If the signature is not legible, record the participant’s name on the form also. (Log as a No in ITrackRS.)
- If the participant marks the box “no” or “no, already registered” and does not sign the form, FSD Staff will record the date, the participant’s name, and date of birth on the form. (Log as a No in ITrackRS.)
- If the participant marks “yes” but does not actually complete the voter registration application form in the location because s/he chose to take the voter registration application home to complete, FSD staff will complete a separate voter registration application checking “no”. The FSD staff member will record on the separate voter registration application the participant’s name, date of birth, the fact s/he declined to complete the voter registration application in the location and instead took it home to complete, the date, and the FSD staff member’s signature. FSD Staff will encourage participants to fill out the form at the location. (Log as a No in ITrackRS. When the other voter registration application form is received, log in the appropriate column.)
- If the participant marks “yes” but does not fully complete the voter registration application form in the location either because s/he is under age or is not a United States citizen, FSD staff will record on the form the participant’s name, date of birth, the fact s/he indicated s/he is ineligible to register, the date, and the worker’s signature. (These incomplete voter registration applications will be logged in ITrackRS as a No.)
- If the participant marks the box “yes” and completes the form, the FSD staff will follow appropriate local location procedures to submit the voter registration application form to the appropriate election authority. (Log as a Yes in ITrackRS.)
If the voter registration application has a box checked, but is unsigned, do not log as Declined to Declare. Log the voter registration application as it normally would be logged if the participant had signed the form.
Voter registration services must be offered even if the participant has previously declined to register to vote or they are already registered to vote.
NOTE: DO NOT detach the top portion of the Missouri Voter Registration Application form. The entire form must be forwarded to the election official upon completion. Refer to 2100.050.00 Transmission of Completed Forms for transmission of completed forms.
Date stamp the completed Missouri Voter Registration Application above the “Code 02” line on the form. The date stamp determines when a person becomes eligible to vote. If a date stamp is unavailable, write the date by hand.
IMPORTANT: There must be nothing on the Missouri Voter Registration Application form to indicate it came from the Family Support Division, other than the Code 02