IM-162 October 10, 2019; IM-146 September 27, 2019; IM-29 April 8, 2010
Enter all types of income into the electronic record, including excluded incomes. Unearned income includes the following:
Income Maintenance Payments:
- Temporary Assistance
- Blind Pension
- Refugee cash assistance
- PTD State Supplemental Payment
- OAA State Supplemental Payment
- Supplemental Nursing Care
- Welfare payments from another state
- Other need-based assistance programs.
- Black Lung benefits
- Payments held in trust by Secretary of Interior for Indians
- Vocational Rehabilitation payments for child care compensation
- Vocational Rehabilitation payments not for child care compensation.
Annuities, Pensions, and Compensations:
- Union fund, pension benefits, or retirement
- Military retirement
- Disability benefit
- Veterans benefits paid by the Veterans Administration – Include under this income type veterans benefits payments to veterans with service-connected disabilities resulting from exposure to Agent Orange.
- Worker’s compensation
- Unemployment compensation
- Strike benefits
- Railroad Retirement
- Benefits received under Social Security Programs, such as Social Security Disability or Social Security Retirement or SSI
- Income from stocks, bonds, investments, trusts
- Property rental
- Regular contributions from relatives, friends, churches, clubs, etc. made directly to the participant
- Regular contributions from relatives, friends, churches, clubs, etc. made to a vendor on behalf of the participant (applicable only to participants in a boarding or nursing home)
- When real or personal property has been sold by a member of an assistance group on a time payment plan, and the unpaid balance does not make the participant ineligible, consider the down-payment (if any) as cash but include the time payments as income
- Consider payments received as the result of Third Party Liability (insurance) overages income for the month in which it is received
- Allotments including:
- military allotments
- community spouse allotments
- minor/dependent allotments
- minor living outside household allotments.
- Severance payments received from an employer when an employee’s job is terminated
- Subsidized employment
- Foster care payments
- Adoption subsidy payments
- Guardianship subsidy payments
- Support or alimony payments including the following:
- child support – this is income to the child for whom the payment is made if the child is in the home
- child support arrearages – this is income to the child for whom the payment is made if the child is in the home
- child support payments paid for someone outside the home
- alimony arrearages.
- Cash gifts
- Payments from immigrant (alien) sponsor
- Lottery/gambling income
- Incentive payments to encourage activity
- Representative payee payments not given to the beneficiary
- Reimbursements for living expenses
- Notes receivable
- Non bona fide loans
- Nursing home insurance income
- Interest income.
To compute unearned income follow the guidelines in 0410.015.05.25 Other Expenses of Producing Income and 0410.015.05.10 Overhead Expense of Producing Income listed under 0410.015.05 Earned Income.