Refer to the Case Management section 0270.025.00 Teen Parents for teen educational requirements.
13 CSR 40-2.325 provides that a Temporary Assistance cash grant may be received for eligible children between the ages of 18 and 19 if:
- the child is a full-time student in high school or an equivalent level at a vocational or technical school in lieu of high school; AND
- the child is reasonably expected to graduate from high school or complete the equivalent level of vocational or technical school.
When both of these requirements are met, the child is eligible for cash up to and including the month he/she reaches age 19.
Consider the child a full-time student:
- S/he attends a full-time program of study or training leading to a certificate or diploma;
- S/he attends, at least half time, a program of study or training leading to a certificate or diploma and is regularly employed in (or available for and actively seeking) part-time employment; or
- S/he attends, at least half time, a program of study or training leading to a certificate or degree and is precluded from full-time attendance or part-time employment because of a verified physical handicap.
- Consider a child a full-time student during months not attending because of official school or training program vacation.
- Attendance in AEL classes does not meet the requirement of a full-time student.
- Home schooling activities may meet the requirement of a full-time student if logs of school attendance are kept. Compare the logs to hours that a full-time student in school would normally keep to determine full/part-time attendance.
EXAMPLE: An 18-year-old completing high school before reaching age 19 is eligible for cash through the last month attending high school.
EXAMPLE: A child turning 19 before completing high school is ineligible for cash once he or she reaches age 19.
EXAMPLE: An 18-year-old who has completed high school, and is in a vocational or technical training program that will be completed before age 19, is ineligible for cash. Vocational/technical training is in lieu of high school not in addition to high school.