Temporary Assistance/Case Management Manual

0205.050.25.05 Child Living in Parents’ Home

IM-89 December 30, 2009; IM-61 March 26, 2001; IM-76 May 11, 2000

  1. The child lives in the home with biological or adoptive parents. The parents do not have to be married. A stepparent is not eligible for Temporary Assistance unless an in-common child exists who is deprived of parental support due to financial need. In all cases, establish the father’s relationship to his child. If the father is not married to the mother, and is not listed on the birth certificate, and the child was born in Missouri, offer him the opportunity to sign the Father’s Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity (VS 465F). The mother must also sign the Mother’s Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity (VS 465M). The completed VS 465F and VS465M (and VS 465D when appropriate) must be sent to the Bureau of Vital Records (BVR) together. BVR will return any part of the affidavit submitted separately.

    NOTE: The Written Notice of Alternatives, Rights and Responsibilities (VS 465) must accompany any other part of the affidavit sent to a party for review and possible completion.

    If the parents refuse to sign the paternity statements, the family is not eligible for Temporary Assistance, and the application must be rejected or the case closed. The parents may seek legal counsel prior to signing the paternity statement(s). Refer to the IM Forms Manual for instructions for completing the Affidavit Acknowledging Paternity (VS 465) forms.

  2. When a parent returns to the home of a family receiving Temporary Assistance, immediately determine eligibility for Temporary Assistance with two parents. Leave the case open while the parent’s eligibility is determined. Make this determination on a priority basis. Discontinue Temporary Assistance if the family is not eligible.