Victims of domestic violence often require unique case management to ensure their safety and confidentiality. The following guidelines must be adhered to:
- Complete the ‘Domestic Violence Screening’ in the MWA System for:
- the initial screening;
- whenever domestic violence is suspected; and
- follow-up at least every twelve months.
NOTE: Hard copy Domestic Violence Screening and Domestic Violence Assessment forms are available in the Forms Manual for use when real time entry into the MWA System cannot be completed.
- Complete the ‘Domestic Violence Screening’ with all Missouri Work Assistance (MWA) participants alone, one-on-one in a closed door setting. Do not force a Temporary Assistance (TA) recipient to complete the screening if s/he fears for the safety of herself/himself or their children.
- It is necessary to conduct all interviews in the same manner or a potential abuser may be suspicious.
- If circumstances prohibit administering the “MWA Domestic Violence Screening” in this manner, case note that the screening did not take place for this reason and complete the form at the earliest possible opportunity.
- If the participant refuses to sign the “MWA Domestic Violence Screening” form, document in case notes and the paper file.
- Do not judge the participant’s actions or situation in any way, including the recipient’s ability to comply with work activities if he/she requests consideration for a domestic violence situation.
- Complete the ‘Domestic Violence Screening’, and if appropriate, the ‘Domestic Violence Assessment’ screens with the recipient.
- See Section 0262.020.00 Temporary Waiver for more information.
- Be cautious about the kind of paperwork sent home with the TA recipient and when making telephone contact since this could compromise his/her safety.
- Always ask the recipient before providing information or making telephone contacts.
- Be aware that not all domestic violence is physical and there may be no outward signs.
- Do not press the recipient for details concerning the domestic violence situation.