Section 1902(a) of the Social Security Act asserts ‘the State shall require, as a condition of eligibility for (Medicaid) benefits…, that each applicant for or recipient of (such) benefits furnish to the State his social security account number (or numbers, if he has more than one such number) …’
Every applicant or participant must have a social security number (SSN) and provide the number to Family Support Division (FSD).
This requirement does not apply to:
- the applicant/ participant’s spouse, unless assistance has been requested for the spouse.
- the parents of a disabled child, or
- aliens seeking MO HealthNet for the treatment of an emergency medical condition
Applicants who do not already have an SSN must apply for one as a condition of program eligibility. Ensure the participant understands:
- FSD is obliged to request the SSN under the authority of Section 1902 (a) of the Social Security Act; and
- FSD is limited to using the participant’s SSN to verify income from other federal sources, and to verify other eligibility data from required sources.