Verify all deductible medical expenses that total more than $35 per month, prior to initial certification incurred by:
- an elderly or disabled EU member;
- any elderly or disabled individual who would be a EU member except he/she is hospitalized, in a nursing home (ICF, SNF), or deceased if the EU is responsible for the expense;
- persons receiving SSI presumptive disability payments; or
- persons receiving SSI emergency advance payments.
NOTE: If a medical expense is allowed for a person receiving SSI based on presumptive eligibility, and eligibility is later terminated, remove the medical deduction from the food stamp case.
Spouses or other persons receiving benefits as a dependent of the above SSI recipients are not eligible to receive this deduction. SSI essential persons do not qualify for a medical deduction.
Acceptable hard copy documentary verification (HC) includes, but are not limited to the following:
- hospital bill,
- doctor bill,
- insurance premium notice, and
- pharmacy receipts.
For mileage, verify the number of trips made to the pharmacy, doctor, or hospital. Client’s statement (CS) is valid verification of mileage.