Most non-citizens who have entered the United States legally were issued documents by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which contain information about immigration status and the date the individual entered the country or adjusted to the status shown on the card.
It is the responsibility of the SNAP applicant to provide the documents. If a non-citizen does not want FSD to contact USCIS to verify their status, FSD must give the SNAP household the option of withdrawing its application or participating without that household member receiving SNAP benefits.
FSD is required to verify immigrant status of individuals who are applying for SNAP benefits and to verify the validity of the documents provided.
Access the USCIS Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) database to verify immigrant status.
- Initial Verification (first step) – SAVE electronically compares information staff enters against immigration databases.
- Additional Verification (second step) – If SAVE cannot verify the information provided, the SAVE message Institute Additional Verification (IVA) appears. Staff must use the Scan and Upload function to electronically submit front and back photocopies of the SNAP applicant’s immigration/citizenship documents. The benefit of using the Scan and Upload function at this step is to complete the entire verification process within 3-5 federal working days.
- Third Step Verification (if prompted), staff must submit front and back photocopies of the non-citizen’s immigration documents using the Scan and Upload function and explain in the comments section why the prior response needs further review.
Note: FSD may not receive a final response if Third Step Verification is not completed when prompted.
Exceptions: The statuses below do not require additional verification through SAVE. Verify the following non-citizen statuses according to the policy listed in each section:
- Eligibility based on veteran or active-duty status (1105.010.10.20 Non-citizens With a Military Connection)
- Cross-border Native Americans (1105.010.03 Cross-Border Native Americans)
- Hmong or Laotian Highlander tribe members (1105.010.04 Hmong, Laotian Highlanders)
- Victims of trafficking (1105.010.10.30 Immigrants Eligible Under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000)