IM-47 April 27, 2021; IM-04 January 26, 2021; IM-35 April 29, 2020; IM-29 March 30, 2018; IM-96 October 26, 2015; IM-33 June 24, 2014; IM-27 May 1, 2014; IM-81 August 31, 2006
The following income is also excluded. The type (EI, UI, ED, or VW) and source codes are listed in parenthesis where applicable.
EXCEPTION: Individuals voluntary enrolled in METP are eligible for reimbursement of transportation and child care expenses. This allowance is NOT income for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program purposes and not entered into the system.
- WIC: payments or benefits received under the WIC Program (Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children). This income is not shown on the Income (FMX0) screen.
- Energy Assistance Payments: exclude federal energy assistance payments provided through the Department of Health and Human Services, Low Income Energy Assistance Program. Exclude any payments received from State or local energy assistance programs and Federal or State one-time assistance for weatherization or emergency repair or replacement of heating or cooling devices (Type UI – Source EA)
- Title IV-D Child Support Payments: child support payments received by Temporary Assistance participants that must be transferred to the agency administering Title IV-D, to maintain Temporary Assistance eligibility. This is not shown as income on the Income (FMX0) screen. Count DCSE refunds to a Temporary Assistance/SNAP case as income.
- Cost of producing self-employed income: these are shown as income expense codes on the Income Expense (FMX1) screen.
- Missouri Senior Citizen’s Tax Credit: consider a resource when received and disregard as income. The credit is based on individuals who rent or pay property tax. If the EU receives this tax credit, the credit does not affect the EU’s shelter expenses (Type UI – Source MO)
- Payments made to individuals 55 years or older from SCSEP of the Older American’s Act: excluded, including Green Thumb (Type EI – Source GT), Experience Works, and Mature Worker Program (Type UI – Source OA for all but Green Thumb). Confer with offices administering programs for the elderly to determine which projects are authorized by Title V.
- Donations: exclude cash donations from non-profit charitable organizations (Type UI – DN/DO)
- Foster Care Payments: payments for Foster Care are excluded from EU income unless the foster child or adult is included in SNAP EU membership. If the foster child or adult is not included in the SNAP EU, do not show as income on the Income (FMX0) screen.
- Chaffee Foster Care to a third party: payments made to a third party are excluded (Type UI – Source CH)
- Wartime Relocation of Civilians payments: authorized under Public Law 100-383 (Type UI – Source RA)
- Wartime Relocation of Civilians: payments made to eligible individuals of Japanese ancestry under Title I of Public Law 100-383 up to $20,000 each (Type UI – Source RJ) and certain eligible Aleuts up to $12,000 each (Type UI – Source RS) are excluded.
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): income received as a lump sum or as advance payments. Exclude the payment in the month received and the following month (Type UI – Source TC)
- Child Nutrition Assistance: the value of assistance provided to children under the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (School Breakfast Program) (Type UI – Source CN)
- Radiation Exposure Compensation: payments made under P.L. 101-425, Section 6 (h)(2), the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act of October 15, 1990 (Type UI – Source RD)
- PASS Account: money SSI recipients set aside under an approved plan for achieving self-support (PASS). SSA must approve the written plan (Type UI – Source PA)
- Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Account: contributions to and interest, dividends, or other distributed earnings in an ABLE account. Also exclude from income payments made from an ABLE account for qualified disability expenses (TYPE UI – Source AD)
- YouthBuild Program: exclude payments paid to individuals in YouthBuild. Individuals who participate in YouthBuild receive a combination of classroom academic and job skills development, as well as on-site training in a construction trade (Type EI – Source YB)
- AmeriCorps Program: exclude payments received under the AmeriCorps Program (Type EI – Source AE/AM)
- Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA): these benefits are available to workers who lose their jobs or whose work hours and wages are reduced as a result of increased imports. TRA is a weekly benefit payable to eligible workers following exhaustion of unemployment benefits. It is paid only to individuals enrolled in a training program. An individual may also receive an allowance for transportation and living expenses if attending training or conducting a job search beyond the normal commuting distance from home. If the individual finds a job beyond the normal commuting distance from home and wants to relocate to the job site, TAA may provide a relocation allowance. Count as income TRA and TAA payments for living expenses (room, board, clothing, etc.; see 1115.010.00 Unearned Income) (Type UI – Source TL). Exclude from income TRA and TAA allowances for transportation, education, and relocation expenses (Type UI – Source TN). Employment Security sometimes combines money for living expenses and transportation into one check. A check which exceeds the weekly amount shown in the IMES screen generally includes a transportation reimbursement. To correctly decide what amount to budget as income, ask the participant what kind of payment is included in their check.
- Crime Victim’s Fund payments: these benefits are available to victims of crimes, paid by a crime victim compensation program and are excluded (Type UI – Source CV)
- Ricky Ray Hemophilia Relief Fund Act of 1998: settlement payments from this fund are excluded from income (Type UI – Source RI)
- Veteran Benefits and Health Care Improvement Act of 2000: benefits are being paid for the children of women Vietnam veterans who suffer from certain birth defects, including spina bifida. These benefits are excluded (Type UI – Source SP)
- VISTA: payment to volunteers under Title II of the Domestic Volunteer Services Act of 1973 (Pub. L. 93-113); excluded for those individuals receiving SNAP or public assistance at the time they joined the Title I program.
- Economic Impact Payments: resulting from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, and the American Rescue Plan Act, 2021. This must be entered as a resource and not income. This payment should not be taken into account as income and should be excluded as a resource for 12 months from receipt. These payments count as a tax rebate or advance payment of a tax credit that are exempted as income per Section 103(d) of the American Taxpayer Relief Act amending the relevant statutory provision, 26 U.S.C. § 6409.
Always review the Food Stamp Budget Summary (FSBUDSUM or FM4A) screen prior to authorizing a case action. From the Budget Summary screen press F14=INCSUM to view the Income Summary Detail (INCSUMM or FM33) screen to ensure income you expect to be budgeted is included in the budget. If the income is incorrect, return to the appropriate screen and correct the inaccurate information.