Eligibility units (EUs) determined to be categorically eligible do not have to meet:
- resource limits,
- gross income limits, and/or
- net income limits.
Categorically eligible EUs must meet all other non-financial eligibility factors. However, categorically eligible individuals/EUs do not have to provide verification of:
- Social Security Number (SSN),
- sponsored immigrant information, or
- resources, including resource transfer.
Categorically eligible one or two person EUs are entitled to the minimum allotment regardless of income level. The initial month’s benefits may be $0 due to proration. FAMIS rejects or closes categorically eligible EUs of three or more persons whose income exceeds the categorically eligible issuance table maximums.
Determine categorical eligibility, or potential categorical eligibility, at the time of application.
The following are categorically eligible for FS:
- all household members receive;
- Temporary Assistance,
- Supplemental Security Income(SSI),
- Supplemental Aid to the Blind (SAB), or
- Supplemental Payments (SP).
- the EU contains a member receiving or authorized to receive one or more of the following special support services:
- Child Care–This program provides child care support for participant EUs. Based on the EU’s income, the participant may be responsible for a portion of the child care expense based on a sliding scale. In addition, the participant may be responsible for a co-payment to the provider. Participants receiving child care assistance can be identified through the FAMIS Program Participation screen (FM0D).
- Community Partnerships–Services are provided to help prepare them for the job market. The services offered include, but are not limited to the following:
Missouri Mentoring — Private companies participate in this program by providing structured job site mentoring with a volunteer on-site mentor. The individual is hired and paid by the company. This program is available to individuals up to age 21 and offered in St. Louis City and County, Phelps, Cape Girardeau, Scott, Boone, Greene, Buchanan, Pemiscot, New Madrid, Ripley, Butler, and Jackson counties.
NOTE: A participant must be approved for the benefit or service, but does not have to be actually using the service(s).
- individual members of the EU qualify for Temporary Assistance, SSI, SAB, or SP and only those individuals are categorically eligible.
Each situation is discussed as follows.