IM-107 December 2, 2013; IM-142 December 2, 2005
A CARS-3 demand letter is generated and sent to all EUs when a Food Stamp claim is entered. The day the letter is generated is the day the claim is established. The demand letter contains:
- the amount of the claim
- the time period of the claim
- the reason for the claim
- the persons responsible for the claim
- the calculation of the overpayment
- repayment agreement options including notification of allotment reduction procedures
- notification of ability to request reduction of claim balance for some claims (see 1142.055.05 Compromising Claims)
- notification of the right to a fair hearing
A repayment agreement is included with the demand letter.
When a demand letter for a Food Stamp claim is returned as undeliverable, check to see if there is a current address available.
- If there is an updated address available, place the entire demand letter in another envelope and mail to the correct address. Update the claim address using OVDC screen.
- If there is no updated address available, refer the claim to WIU using a DOI-1 Referral for Investigation form requesting a current address.
WIU attempts to locate a current address for the EU and notifies the eligibility specialist. Re-mail the letter to the address provided by WIU.
Note: After a Food Stamp CARS-3 is sent, collection procedures are initiated and continue regardless of the letter being returned as undeliverable.
Record a comment regarding whether contact was made with the EU and the address to which the demand letter was re-mailed on the Note Add (OVNA) screen.