Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Manual

1150.005.00 SNAP Benefits Lost From an EBT Account

IM-87 October 17, 2023; IM-62 May 24, 2022; IM-68 October 18, 2010; IM-63 August 31, 2009; IM-09 January 30, 2008; IM-80 August 28, 2006

SNAP benefits may be considered for replacement when:

  • Used by an individual without the household’s permission after the EBT card is reported as lost or stolen.
  • The EBT card is stolen prior to receipt and benefits are lost.
  • An individual accesses benefits without the household’s permission using a manual voucher transaction.

If eligible for a replacement, the appropriate supervisor or program coordinator will issue the replacement.

The IM-110 Replacement Request form:

  • Used to document SNAP benefits lost from an EBT account.
  • Completed and signed by any adult participant of a SNAP household or the Authorized Representative prior to processing.
  • Captures the household’s statement and any additional information needed to determine if benefits were lost from an EBT account.

The report of the loss can be made by telephone, mail, fax, in person, DSS Chat, or through the FSD Upload Portal.  

When benefits are replaced due to loss from an EBT account, issue the replacement benefits up to the amount of the monthly issuance.

  • Make a comment regarding the date of loss, date loss is reported, date request is completed and verification used to determine replacement.

When a request to replace benefits is denied, make a comment in the eligibility system.

  • The comment should state the date of loss, date loss is reported, date request is completed and the reason for the denial.

The IM-112RB Action Taken on Your Request for Replacement Benefits form:

  • Is used to notify the SNAP household of the decision to approve or deny replacement benefits.
  • Notifies the SNAP household of the right to request a fair hearing.
    • No replacement can be made while a denial is being appealed.

Replacements are limited to 2 replacements in 6 months for SNAP benefits lost from an EBT account.