MO HealthNet for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (MHABD) Manual

0815.015.00 Participant Currently Receiving MO HealthNet Enters a Vendor Placement

IM-51 May 19, 2023; IM-36 June 20, 2016; IM-33 March 29, 2012; IM-153 December 20, 2005

When a participant currently receiving MO HealthNet (MHN) enters a MHN certified bed (T19) in a nursing facility (SNF) (see 0815.005.10 MO HealthNet Certified Beds in Nursing Facilities), an institution for the developmentally disabled (IMR), or a state mental hospital (MHC), payments may be made directly to the facility that is providing care to the individual.

A MO HealthNet Annual Renewal form is not required to transfer an active MHN participant to vendor. When the annual renewal is due at the same time that a change to vendor is reported, complete the renewal as a separate action from the change to vendor care. Do not delay the change to vendor level of care, while waiting to complete an annual renewal.

When an individual is only included (ZP) in an active MHN case, an Add a Person Request must be completed before eligibility for vendor benefits for the individual can be determined.

When a MHN participant enters a nursing facility, eligibility for vendor benefits must be explored. Vendor benefits must be authorized as soon as all necessary information, including a level of care determination, is received. See 0815.015.10 Tracking MHABD to Vendor Requests.

Complete the following steps within two working days of notification of the placement:

  • Change the individual’s address.
    • Single Person: The new facility address is added on the Eligibility Unit Transfer screen (EUTRAN or FM12) along with the living arrangement code NURSING HOME/RESIDENTIAL CARE (NH).
    • Couple case where the community spouse is receiving benefits or is the payee for an active EU receiving benefits and the community spouse remains at the residential address: Add the institutionalized spouse’s new facility address on the individual’s Person Detail screen (PRSNDTL or FM0I) if the participant/family elect to have all mail sent to the facility.
    • Couple case where the community spouse is not receiving benefits: The new facility address is added on the Eligibility Unit Transfer screen (EUTRAN or FM12) along with the living arrangement code NURSING HOME/RESIDENTIAL CARE (NH). Add the community spouse’s address on the Person Detail screen (PRSNDTL or FM0I) if the participant/family requests that mail to go to the community spouse’s address instead of the facility address.
  • On the comment screen accessed from the Eligibility Unit Member Role screen (EUMEMROL or FM3Z) document the reported change in living arrangements. Include the date of the report, who reported the change or how it became known, the date the change occurred, and the action that was taken.
  • Enter the facility details and placement details on the Facility Placement and Information Details screen from the Facility Placement information screen (FACPLACE or FMJ4). Comments must be entered from this screen to document verification of the placement. Refer to the Facility and Placement Information Details user guide.

NOTE: If a participant is receiving a Supplemental Nursing Care (SNC) cash grant, the Facility and Placement Information Details screen (FACPLACE or FMJ4) must be updated with the change from the SNC facility to the vendor facility. Staff must complete an eligibility determination (EDRES) in the eligibility system and authorize the action to end the cash grant within two working days of notification of change in placement. The vendor determination will pend for verification of the Level of Care certification from COMRU. If a participant receives a cash grant for a month they are in a vendor facility, the cash grant and personal needs payment must be included as unearned income in the surplus determination.

Other steps to determine vendor eligibility may include:

  • For a couple case, a Division of Assets (DIVISION or FMWR) must be completed. Refer to the Division of Assets user guide.
  • For individuals with dependents, explore any allotments to the community spouse and other dependents in the home or outside the home. Refer to the Allotments user guide. An add-a-person action on the Application Request (Request, FM0G) screen may be needed to add the dependent.

Complete an Eligibility Determination (EDRES) to determine eligibility for vendor benefits in the eligibility system as soon as:

NOTE: Worker Initiated Budget Calculations (WIBCA) may need to be completed to authorize vendor benefits for an active MHABD participant who enters a vendor facility. WIBCAs will need to be completed if the vendor benefits are not authorized in the same month the change is reported. WIBCA will not be entered for months prior to the date the change was reported. From the Select Worker Initiated Budget Calculation Area screen (SELWIBCA or FMXH) press F14=ADDWIBCA. If a participant enters the vendor home after the first day of the month, or leaves the vendor home before the last day of the month multiple WIBCAs will need to be completed. The WIBCAs must be done to show the appropriate coverage type for the days when the participant was eligible for VEND VENDOR NURSING CARE, and for the days either prior to entering and/or after leaving the facility when the participant would be eligible for another coverage type such as SPNDN MA SPENDDOWN/NON-SPENDDOWN. Review the Medicaid Category History screen (MEDHIST or FM4L) to determine if WIBCAs were authorized appropriately to provide coverage to the participant for the entire month.

All WIBCA entries must have comments supporting a valid reason for the WIBCA.