Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: REGINALD E. McELHANNON, INTERIM DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: BLIND PENSION (BP) RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT
MANUAL REVISION #120
This memorandum announces manual revision of the residency requirement for Blind Pension applicants. This update enforces previous statutory requirements.
Section 209.030 RSMo requires that a person applying for BP must have:
- been a resident of Missouri for 12 months immediately preceding an application for BP, or
- lost their vision while a resident of Missouri and lived in Missouri since becoming blind.
Applicants for BP must verify 12 months of continuous residence in Missouri prior to the date they applied for BP. If it cannot be verified that s/he has lived in Missouri, or lost his/her vision while a resident of Missouri and lived in Missouri since becoming blind, the application must be rejected.
NOTE: A person who was a resident of Missouri when s/he lost his/her vision does not have to wait 12 months to be approved.
EXAMPLE: Mr. Potter moved to Missouri in January 2019. In March 2019 he had an accident and lost his vision. He applied for BP in April 2019. His ophthalmologist confirms the sudden onset of blindness and he provided rent receipts for an apartment in Missouri for January through April. He is eligible for BP, as long as all other eligibility is met.
Do not require verification of residence prior to accepting an application. Verification is required prior to approval. Acceptable verification includes, but is not limited to:
- lease signed more than 12 months prior to the application date,
- rent receipts dating 12 months, or more, prior to the application date,
- physician statement of the date vision was lost, or first met the current visual eligibility standards, and additional verification of residence since that date.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.