Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: MO HEALTHNET FOR THE AGED, BLIND, AND DISABLED (MHABD) APPLICATIONS FOR INDIVIDUALS BEING DISCHARGED FROM A STATE MENTAL HOSPITAL
FORM REVISION: #06 – FSD DBH Cover Sheet
The purpose of this memo is to update the coversheet that the Department of Mental Health’s (DMH) Division of Behavioral Health (DBH) uses when submitting an MHABD application to the Family Support Division (FSD) on behalf of an applicant who is anticipating discharge from a State Mental Hospital.
DBH and FSD work together to process these applications as quickly as possible to avoid disruption in services for the individual. An application may be submitted as early as 90 days prior to an individual’s planned discharge date. The date of the application is the date the application is received by FSD. These applications must be processed within two (2) working days.
Division of Behavioral Health Responsibilities:
DBH agrees to facilitate the application process for individual’s from age 22 up to age 65 who would appear to meet all factors of eligibility for MHABD except for the requirement that they not reside in a public institution.
- Assist the applicant, authorized representative, or guardian with completing the necessary forms
- Provide medical documentation, when available
- Submit the application to FSD using the FSD DBH Coversheet
- DBH facility staff send the applications to DMH Central Office who screens the application prior to submitting to FSD. DMH Central Office contact information is on the coversheet.
- DMH Central Office will submit the following to FSD at Greene.CoDFSIM@dss.mo.gov: completed application forms, anticipated discharge date, and contact information for the DMH Case Management Agency that will be providing mental health services upon discharge
- Notify FSD of the applicants actual date discharge and updated community address
- Provide contact information for specific DBH and DMH Case Management staff members who can be contacted during the application process
Family Support Division Responsibilities:
- Maintain designated staff members to process the applications that are received from DBH that include the FSD DBH Coversheet
- Currently the designated staff members are in the Springfield Processing Center.
- Process the application using the date the application is received by FSD as the date of application
- The application will need to be taken through the flow and left in ISD status at the QMB decision screen (FMD6) in order to keep the system from approving an application prior to the individual’s discharge.
- Request necessary verification from the applicant, authorized representative, or guardian
- FSD may not provide DMH or DBH with an official request for information unless a specified DMH or DBH staff member is the authorized representative for the applicant.
- If the applicant is ineligible on any factor other than not residing in a public institution, the rejection may be authorized when that determination is made.
- If the individual is eligible on all factors other than not residing in a public institution, the application must be held until the discharge date or the due date, whichever is earlier.
- If the applicant is still residing in a public institution on the due date, the application must be rejected. A new application can be submitted by the individual or DBH if needed.
- The due date for MHABD applications based on permanent and total disability or blind assistance is 90 days from the date of application.
- If the individual is discharged prior to the due date, the application must be processed within two (2) business days of discharge into the community if all eligibility factors are met.
- If the individual is discharged on the application due date, the application should be processed that day.
- An application must not be approved until confirmation is received from DBH that the individual was discharged from the facility.
Please note that this is not a change in policy. This memo is to update the FSD DBH Coversheet and remind staff of the process for MHABD applications received prior to an individual’s discharge from a state mental hospital.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.
- FSD DBH Cover Sheet