Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: COVID-19 VERIFICATIONS FOR FAMILY HEALTHCARE PROGRAMS (MAGI)
On March 13, 2020 a national health emergency was declared in response to COVID-19. This allows The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to approve waivers for states to have all points of eligibility temporarily waived with the exceptions of citizenship and identity.
If an applicant has already provided documentation, use what was provided as verification. Ensure all electronic sources are utilized when available.
When an applicant has not provided verification and the information is not able to be verified by electronic sources, follow these instructions:
- For income: reasonable compatibility does not need to be run. Accept self-attestation of income.
- For tax-filing status: if tax-filing status is blank on an application – the client must be contacted. If contact cannot be made, a manual Request for Information (IM-31A) must be sent and tracked. The participant is still able to verbally provide their tax-filing status without submitting documentation.
- For citizenship and identity: see 020.05.05 Documents to Verify Citizenship for a list of acceptable documents.
- Reasonable opportunity: Allow reasonable opportunity for applicants requesting benefits who do not have citizenship documents/proof of qualified immigrant status or a social security number (SSN) at the time of application.
- When an SSN is not provided at application – attempt to contact the participant. If the applicant has indicated they have applied for an SSN, accept self-attestation of SSN application. If the applicant indicates they have NOT applied for an SSN, allow reasonable opportunity on a good faith effort as individuals may not be able to go to a Social Security office at this time.
- If a participant does not provide verification they have applied for a birth certificate – allow reasonable opportunity on a good faith effort as individuals may not be able to apply for a birth certificate at this time.
- Follow above instructions starting immediately.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.
- If MEDES system will not accept self-attestation as a verification item-use “Other documentation, verified by caseworker.”
- In addition to the comment regarding the application, leave an additional comment with the label COVID-19 to state, “Self-attestation accepted as verification due to special circumstances. 42 CFR 435.952(c)(3).”
- Note: Copy and paste the above label for comments.