Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: COVID-19 VERIFICATION OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION BENEFITS RESULTING FROM THE CORONAVIRUS AID, RELIEF, AND ECONOMIC SECURITY (CARES) ACT FOR ALL PROGRAMS
Memo IM-37, dated April 29, 2020, introduced 3 new types of Unemployment Compensation funds that were created on March 27, 2020, as a result the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
Those funds are the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) fund, the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUC) fund, and the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) fund.
Beginning 4/30/2020, IMES is updated to reflect income from the FPUC fund, which is a $600 weekly payment made in addition to other weekly Unemployment Compensation benefits.
Verification of Unemployment Compensation Income
Use IMES to identify, budget, and verify gross income and deductions from Unemployment Compensation for Missouri unemployment recipients.
- 1. Review the COMP WEEK column of the IMES. Total all payments made per the CHECK AMT column for each specific COMP WEEK date to determine a gross payment amount. In the red boxes below, the total payment made for the COMP WEEKs 4/4, 4/11, 4/18, and 4/25 is $849 each week ($764 + $85=$849.)
- If the total amount is more than $600, enter $600 weekly into the eligibility system as Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 FPUC funds (US in FAMIS).
- Deduct $600 from the total. Enter the remaining amount as Unemployment Compensation/Insurance (UC in FAMIS).
- For FAMIS determinations, evaluate the REC column of the IMES for child support payments (CHSP). If child support payments are deducted, budget the payments on the Court Ordered Expense (SUPEXP/FMXL) screen in FAMIS using normal budgeting procedures.
- Review the budget screens in the eligibility system before authorization. Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 FPUC amounts are excluded income for all MO HealthNet programs (except for sighted spouses on Blind Pension determinations) and included for all other programs. Unemployment Compensation/Insurance is included income for all programs.
NOTE: Future changes to IMES, MEDES, or FAMIS will be addressed in subsequent memos.
Refer participants with questions about Unemployment Compensation to the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations interactive site at uinteract.labor.mo.gov. Participants can use this site to file claims for Unemployment Compensation, view income verification, request documentation, and report changes in circumstances.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.