Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: COVID-19: NEW TYPES OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION BENEFITS RESULTING FROM THE CORONAVIRUS AID, RELIEF, AND ECONOMIC SECURITY (CARES) ACT FOR THE MO HEALTHNET, FOOD STAMP, CHILD CARE, AND TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
On March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was signed into law. This act contains changes that affect the Food Stamp (FS, also known as SNAP) Program, Temporary Assistance (TA) Program, Child Care Program, and MO HealthNet (MHN) Programs.
In Missouri, the Missouri Department of Labor administers Unemployment Compensation funds created by the CARES Act. Those funds are:
- The Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) fund (Section 2104 of the act), provides a $600 federal supplement to individuals eligible to receive a regular weekly Unemployment Compensation payment.
- The Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) fund (Section 2102 of the act) provides benefits for eligible individuals who are self-employed, seeking part-time employment, or who would not otherwise qualify for Unemployment Compensation.
- The Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) fund (Section 2107 of the act), provides an additional 13 weeks of unemployment benefits to those that have exhausted benefits under regular Unemployment Compensation.
The Missouri Department of Labor will update IMES with changes due to the new types of Unemployment Compensation. Once changes are complete, staff will be notified with additional information.
MO HealthNet Programs
Exclude Unemployment Compensation income received from FPUC funds for most MO HealthNet programs.
EXCEPTION: Include Unemployment Compensation income received from FPUC funds for the sighted spouses of Blind Pension participants in Blind Pension determinations.
Include Unemployment Compensation income received from PEUC and PUA funds for all MO HealthNet programs.
Prior Quarter: Payments from FPUC, PEUC, and PUA funds were not made prior to 4/2020. Do not budget income from FPUC, PEUC, or PUA for months prior to 4/2020.
NOTE: Continue to include income from regular Unemployment Compensation for MO HealthNet programs.
Include Unemployment Compensation income received from FPUC, PUA, and PEUC funds for Food Stamp eligibility determinations.
Include Unemployment Compensation income received from FPUC, PUA, and PEUC funds for Temporary Assistance eligibility determinations.
Include Unemployment Compensation income received from FPUC, PUA, and PEUC funds for Child Care eligibility determinations.
Enter the gross amount of Unemployment Compensation. Make appropriate entries on the Court Ordered Expense (FMXL/SUPEXP) screen to indicate child support expenses. Use the selections below to add Unemployment Compensation fund types to the Select Income (FMX2/SELINC) screen:
- US Unemployment Compensation COVID19 FPUC–To indicate FPUC
- UA Unemployment Compensation PUA-To indicate PUA
- UE Unemployment Compensation PEUC-To indicate PEUC.
NOTE: FAMIS was updated with the additional Unemployment Codes effective 4/29/2020.
Enter the gross amount of Unemployment Compensation. Use the income type selections below to add Unemployment Compensation fund types to MEDES:
- Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 FPUC
- Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 PUA
- Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 PEUC.
NOTE: Currently, MEDES is updated with an income type selection for Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 FPUC. Selections for Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 PUA and Unemployment Compensation COVID-19 PEUC will be added at a later date and staff will be notified of the change.
Do not use the income type selection Unemployment Compensation Stimulus Increase.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.