Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: UPDATES TO INCOME INCLUDED FOR MAGI – CRYPTO CURRENCY AND LOTTERY/GAMBLING WINNINGS AND INTRODUCTION OF APPENDIX J
MANUAL REVISION #49
- Guidance to consider crypto-currencies such as Bitcoin received as payment the same as wages
- Noting that both taxable and non-taxable foreign earned income is included
- Information on how to treat lottery and gambling winnings
- A change to determine whether a child’s income is countable or not
- If the child is the only member of their MAGI-based household the income is countable, regardless of whether the income exceeds the tax filing threshold.
This memo also introduces new Appendix J: Lottery and Gambling Winnings, which is to be used to calculate the number of months over which income is counted according to the income increment received in lottery or gambling winnings.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.