Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: SKILLUP REFERRAL PROCESS
MANUAL REVISION #
FORM REVISION #
IM-5 SkillUP Referral
Federal guidance from the 2018 Farm Bill requires that Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants be offered information on employment and training options to help meet work requirement(s). Staff must inform participants who do not meet an exemption from the SkillUP program and submit a referral form to the SkillUP email address.
NOTE: SkillUP was previously known as the Missouri Employment and Training Program (METP). This is the first of several manual updates and revisions to come.
The SkillUP program is a voluntary program, which offers SNAP participants in Missouri the opportunity to gain skills, training or work experience that can help them meet work requirement(s), obtain gainful employment, and reduce dependency on public assistance benefits.
SkillUP is offered through hundreds of partner agencies across Missouri, which can be found on the employment and training program map.
How and when to submit a SkillUP Referral:
- During the SNAP interview or after authorization of the SNAP case
- Use the IM-5 SkillUP Referral Form located in the FSD Intranet IM Forms Manual to refer the participant to the closest provider using the SkillUP map
- Complete the form with as much detail as possible about the SNAP participant, including the DCN
- Select your organization and provide your contact information
- Enter any details relevant to the participants needs in the additional client information section
- Email the referral form to: SkillUP.Missouri@dss.mo.gov
NOTE: Customer Service Center (CSC) staff should continue to use the referral process created using the FSD Call Center Handoff, which submits the referral directly to the SkillUP email address.
For more information about the SkillUP program, please review the SNAP Policy Manual section 1105.025.05.20 SkillUP – Missouri’s Employment and Training Program or the SkillUP website at on.mo.gov/skillup.
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.