Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: FLEXIBILITIES APPROVED FOR FAMILY MO HEALTHNET (MAGI) APPLICATION PROCESSING
Effective immediately, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has approved Missouri Department of Social Services’ request (DSS) to utilize the following flexibilities to simplify the processing of MO HealthNet (MHN) applications for MAGI programs.
These flexibilities are for MHN applications, including pending applications, received through the end of the public health emergency (PHE) unwinding period. Specific dates for the unwinding period will be determined once the PHE has ended.
1. Enrolling Parents Into Medicaid Based on Children’s Income Eligibility
Parents who have submitted an application for MHN will be considered income eligible for MAGI without further verification of income if:
• They have a child enrolled in MHN;
• The last determination of household income for the child is at or below 133% of the federal poverty level (FPL);
• The parent is in the child’s household; and
• The parent meets all other eligibility requirements for MAGI including but not limited to:
o Under age 65;
o Not pregnant;
o Not eligible for Medicare; and
o Meets Citizenship/Identity requirements (refer to MAGI manual section 1805.020.00 Citizenship and Immigrant Status).
2. Targeted Enrollment SNAP Strategy
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants who have submitted an application for MHN will be considered income-eligible for MAGI without further verification of income if:
• The participant is under 65;
• The participant’s gross income as determined by SNAP is under the applicable MAGI income standard; and
• The participant meets all other eligibility factors including but not limited to Citizenship/Identity requirements.
NOTE: Additional information regarding application processing with the flexibilities listed above will be released to staff in a separate email.
• Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.
• Review 1805.020.00 Citizenship and Immigrant Status on allowable documentation to verify citizenship and identity.