Department of Social Services
Family Support Division
PO Box 2320
Jefferson City, Missouri
TO: ALL FAMILY SUPPORT OFFICES
FROM: KIM EVANS, DIRECTOR
SUBJECT: PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY (PHE) AND MO HEALTHNET (MHN) APPLICATION FLEXIBILITIES ENDING
MANUAL REVISION #
The Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) PHE has been in place since January 27, 2020 and has been renewed throughout the pandemic. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) has announced plans for the PHE to expire at the end of the day on May 11, 2023. Missouri has used several flexibilities to expedite MHN application processing during the PHE.
Effective April 17, 2023, discontinue using the flexibilities listed below as they are not tied to the end of the PHE:
- Allow Self-Attestation for Most Eligibility Factors
PHE Flexibility: Allow self-attestation for MHN eligibility factors except ID, citizenship, trusts, and annuities.
Starting April 17, 2023:
- Review policy in the General Information Manual section 0110.000.00 Verification Requirements for MO HealthNet and Adult Cash Assistance Programs and its subsections for verification requirements when processing Non-MAGI applications.
- Review policy in MAGI Manual section 1805.000.00 Eligibility and Verification and its subsections for verification requirements when processing MAGI applications.
- Alternative Signatures
PHE Flexibility: Regulation allowing someone to sign an application on the applicant’s behalf is extended to include individuals quarantined due to COVID.
Starting April 17, 2023:
- Review policy in MAGI Manual section 1802.020.00 Signing the Application and its subsections for application signature requirements. Policy is the same for MAGI and Non-MAGI programs.
Effective May 12, 2023, discontinue using the flexibility listed below as it is tied to the end of the PHE:
- CHIP 75 30 Day Waiting Period Waived
PHE Flexibility: The 30-day mandatory waiting period was waived for CHIP 75 approvals.
Starting May 12, 2023:
- Review policy in the Family MO HealthNet (MAGI) Manual section 1840.015.00 Begin and End Dates for Chip Coverage for processing applications and approving CHIP eligibility.
This memo has been added to the following MO HealthNet for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (MHABD) and Family MO HealthNet (MAGI) manual sections:
0890.005.00 Unwinding the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency (PHE)
1895.005.00 Unwinding the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency (PHE)
- Review this memorandum with appropriate staff.