Per 42 CFR 435.916(C)(ii), allow submission of the annual renewal/review form up to 90 days after termination of eligibility.
The reconsideration period allows cases that closed for failure to return the annual renewal form to be reopened when the annual renewal is received within 90 days after the case has already closed.
Allow the reconsideration period if the individual fails to return the annual renewal form but provides all information required to complete the annual renewal by phone, online, in-person, or through the mail within the 90-day reconsideration period.
When the annual renewal is received 30 days or less after the case closed:
- Reopen the case.
- Refer to policy and staff user guides for directions on reopening cases.
- Process the annual renewal.
- Follow normal procedures when you need clarification or verification.
- If eligible, extend the certification period for another 12 months.
- If ineligible, authorize to close the case.
When the annual renewal is received 31 to 90 days after the case closed:
- Use the annual renewal as a new application. Do not require the household to complete an application form.
- The date the annual renewal is received is the application date.
- During the reconsideration period, all applications should be registered to explore prior quarter to prevent a lapse in coverage.
- Complete the application following normal application processes.
Note: If additional information is required, only request information needed to renew eligibility. Review and use current information in the case record and electronic data sources before requiring the individual to provide information for the annual renewal.
When the annual renewal is received 91 days or more after the case closed:
- Do not use the annual renewal form in place of an application. The individual must reapply through normal application procedures.
- Notify the individual how to reapply by sending the form Review Received Outside Reconsideration Period (IM-1U90).