Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Manual

1150.000.00 Replacement Issuances

IM-34 April 14, 2023; IM-62 May 24, 2022; IM-68 October 18, 2010; IM-63 August 31, 2009; IM-80 August 28, 2006; IM-103 October 4, 2004; IM-38 March 26, 2002; IM-87 June 29, 1999

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits are replaced when a household timely reports:

  • SNAP benefits are used by an individual without the household’s permission after the EBT card is reported as lost or stolen
  • the EBT card is stolen prior to receipt and benefits are lost
  • SNAP benefits are accessed by an individual without the household’s permission using a manual voucher transaction; or
  • food purchased with SNAP benefits is destroyed in a household misfortune

SNAP benefits are not replaced when:

  • SNAP benefits on the EBT card are used by anyone residing in or visiting the household
  • benefits are lost prior to the report of a lost or stolen EBT card after receipt of the EBT card
  • available documentation indicates the household’s request appears to be fraudulent
  • the request for replacement is not made timely; or
  • there is no verification of a household misfortune

The report of the loss may be made by telephone, fax, mail, online at the FSD Upload Portal or in person; however, an adult member of the household or an Authorized Representative must sign the Replacement Request (IM-110) form before processing.

To be considered a timely request, the household or its authorized representative must report the loss of benefits or food within ten days of the loss. The ten-day deadline to report the loss of food purchased with SNAP benefits is calculated from the date the loss first occurred. If the ten-day time period has passed, continue to accept requests for replacement. The Replacement Request (IM-110) must be completed within ten days of reporting the loss. The form is considered timely if the tenth day falls on a weekend or holiday and the form is received the day after the weekend or holiday.

Example: Mr. A’s house burned on August 1 and he lost all his food. Mr. A has until August 11 to report the loss of the food. Mr. A reported the loss on August 10. He has until August 20 to complete the IM-110 form to be considered a timely request.

Note: If the 10th day falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is extended to the next business day.

Before issuing a replacement benefit, check the household’s payment history in the eligibility system for a replacement issuance to avoid duplicate issuance. If a replacement has been issued to the household, a second request may be made if the household has discovered an additional loss exceeding the original request.

Note: The total replacement cannot exceed one month’s benefits.

If the household has completed more than one request, contact the household to determine the total amount of the loss. If two replacement requests are made for the same loss, deny the second request. Notify the household of each decision by sending an Action Taken on Your SNAP Case (IM-112).

Replacement issuances must be provided to households within ten days of reporting the loss or within two days of receiving the completed and signed Replacement Request (IM-110), whichever date is later.

Replacements are limited to two replacements in six months for SNAP benefits lost from an EBT account. There is no limit on the number of replacements for loss of food purchased with SNAP benefits which was destroyed in a household misfortune.